Dr. Chloe Carmichael is a leading expert on anxiety and stress management. Her private practice focuses on relationship issues, self-esteem, stress management, and coaching. Dr. Carmichael is the Author of Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety, which was endorsed by Deepak Chopra.
Dr. Carmichael received her bachelor’s degree in psychology from Columbia University and her doctorate in clinical psychology from Long Island University. She has been featured on VH1, Inside Edition, and ABC Nightline, and quoted in The New York Times, Forbes, Vanity Fair, Rolling Stone, and other media outlets.
In addition to running her practice, Dr. Carmichael is a Consultant at Baker McKenzie, the third-largest law firm in the world. She’s also an Advisory Board Member for Women’s Health magazine and a featured expert for Psychology Today.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Why have lawyers and law firms taken an interest in mental health and wellness recently?
- Dr. Chloe Carmichael shares techniques to help reduce the negative effects of anxiety
- How to use nervous energy constructively
- Why it’s important to welcome and work with anxiety
- Dr. Carmichael discusses the stigmas around mental illness and the changing trends between generations
- Other strategies to harness your nervous energy: mind mapping, emotional to-do lists, and self-care plans
- Dr. Carmichael explains why anxiety is not the enemy (and how it can be a healthy function)
In this episode…
Many lawyers think catastrophically, meaning they look toward the future but imagine the worst-case scenario. In some ways, this type of thinking can be helpful and push you to prepare for a successful, positive outcome. But too much catastrophic thought can lead to increased anxiety and other negative effects such as burnout and depression.
Although anxiety often has negative connotations, it can be quite empowering — as long as you know how to channel it the right way. Dr. Chloe Carmichael, a leading expert on anxiety and stress management, is here to share strategies for coping with anxiety and increasing productivity and happiness. She dives into different tools like the mental shortlist, mind mapping, and emotional to-do lists to help you harness your nervous energy and use it to enhance workplace success.
In this episode of The Lawyer’s Edge Podcast, Elise Holtzman sits down with clinical psychologist Dr. Chloe Carmichael to discuss how lawyers can tackle their anxiety and increase productivity, workplace satisfaction, and overall happiness. Dr. Carmichael shares actionable tools to help you decrease the adverse effects of anxiety, discusses how anxiety can be a healthy function, and explains why it’s important to welcome and work with anxiety — not run away from it.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Elise Holtzman on LinkedIn
- The Lawyer’s Edge
- Dr. Chloe Carmichael
- Dr. Chloe Carmichael on LinkedIn
- Nervous Energy: Harness the Power of Your Anxiety by Dr. Chloe Carmichael
- Dr. Chloe Carmichael’s anxiety worksheets
Sponsor for this episode…
Today’s episode is brought to you by the coaching team at The Lawyer’s Edge, a training and coaching firm which has been focused exclusively on lawyers and law firms since 2008.
Each member of The Lawyer’s Edge coaching team is a trained, certified, and experienced professional coach AND either a former practicing attorney or a former law firm marketing and business development professional.
Whatever your professional objectives, our coaches can help you achieve your goals more quickly, more easily, and with significantly less stress.
To get connected with YOUR coach, just email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.