Rob Toomey is the president and co-founder of TypeCoach, which helps companies and individuals achieve their business and organizational goals through the application of personality types. After five years as a practicing attorney, Rob started his unique coaching business with his wife (and co-founder!) Carly Toomey, using online programs as well as in-person training to help his clients maximize their potential.
Rob is also the founder of An Extraordinary Life, a company that is focused on helping professionals navigate complex career transitions. In 2005, Rob joined forces with SpeedReading People, which allowed him to grow his clientele to include more than 20 Fortune 500 firms.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- What drove Rob Toomey to leave his big law firm and enter the world of personality types?
- The importance of adapting your style to the communication needs of others
- The underlying problems that Rob solves by improving communication within an organization
- The personality types that fit the different stages of a lawyer’s growth and development
- Why you should learn how to add additional skills to your repertoire
- Rob talks about why law firms should hire people with diverse personality types and cognitive styles
- The communication style that Rob has seen in the most successful lawyers
- Rob’s advice to professionals: Give yourself permission to have conversations with your colleagues
In this episode…
Do you ever walk out of a meeting unsure of what is expected of you? Do you sometimes find yourself confused or frustrated when a colleague doesn’t understand what you’re talking about? Is it difficult to get your point across when speaking to certain people in your organization?
These experiences are more common than you think—and the answer might lie in the personality type of you and those around you. We all have different personalities and ways of thinking, and this affects our communication styles. So, how can you use your personality type and the personalities of others to better communicate in your workplace?
In this episode of The Lawyer’s Edge Podcast, host Elise Holtzman sits down with the president and co-founder of TypeCoach, Rob Toomey, to discuss how to maximize potential at your law firm through the application of personality types. Listen in as they chat about which personality types help lawyers thrive in the different stages of their career, the importance of cognitive diversity in your practice, and the communication style that Rob believes is conducive to the most success.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
Sponsor for this episode…
This episode is brought to you by The Lawyer’s Edge, a firm based in the New York metropolitan area founded by Elise Holtzman in 2008 to help lawyers become skilled business developers and leaders so that they can grow their practices, retain top talent, and step confidently into leadership roles.
The firm offers customized coaching, consulting, and training programs such as their signature business development program, Lawyers Making Rain.
Now more than ever, it’s not enough to just do good work and hope your law firm will thrive. And no matter how smart and hard-working you are, it can be time-consuming and overwhelming to figure it all out by yourself.
To learn more about how we help lawyers become rainmakers and leaders, visit TheLawyersEdge.com or email us at email@example.com.