Roy Sexton is the Director of Marketing at Clark Hill, a law firm with more than 650 lawyers spread across 27 offices in the US, Ireland, and Mexico. Roy is also the 2022 President-Elect of the Legal Marketing Association (LMA) and will become the President in 2023, previously serving as a board member, content expert, and presenter.
Roy has a passion for solving problems, improving culture, facilitating business growth, and collaborating on long-term strategies. He has nearly 20 years of experience in marketing, communications, and strategic planning across a range of industries. Roy has also written two books, Reel Roy Reviews volumes one and two, which is a compilation of his essays and reviews on movies and cinema.
After supporting the rebranding of Clark Hill, Roy realized just how magical the combination of branding and culture development can be. In the process of branding, you’re uniting company values, the customer experience, and a diverse team, which, in turn, helps develop the true, authentic culture of your organization.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- What trends is Roy Sexton seeing in the legal industry right now?
- Roy’s thoughts on fostering culture beyond “window dressing”
- How branding and culture go hand in hand — and why you can’t have separate internal and external cultures
- What do clients expect from law firms nowadays?
- Roy shares expert tips for rebranding and uniting your people
- How Roy uses social media as his secret weapon
- Rebranding strategies to form a cohesive voice in your firm
- The lessons Roy takes from theater and implements into his marketing and culture development work
- Roy talks about the people that have supported him through his career and the future opportunities he’s excited about
- Why it’s important to treat each new experience as if it’s your first job
In this episode…
Branding (and rebranding) requires more than just updating a logo. Likewise, culture requires more than just checking off a box and labeling your firm as diverse. So, how do you effectively develop your brand and culture in a way that unites all segments of your law firm?
According to Roy Sexton, affirming your brand has the magical power of galvanizing your culture and showing clients your true, authentic selves. First, you must take stock of who you are now and who you want to become. Once you gain clarity in those areas, you can craft your messaging and unite your culture in an open and transparent way.
In this episode of The Lawyer’s Edge Podcast, Elise Holtzman sits down with Roy Sexton, Director of Marketing at Clark Hill and President-Elect of the Legal Marketing Association. Roy discusses the process of branding and rebranding, how it’s connected to culture, and why these are key areas for creating a cohesive firm. He also shares marketing and social media tips and the powerful theater lessons that apply to business.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Elise Holtzman on LinkedIn
- The Lawyer’s Edge
- Roy Sexton on LinkedIn
- Clark Hill
- Legal Marketing Association (LMA)
- “Are Clients ‘Ghosting’ More Law Firms? It’s Complicated”
- Maram T. Salaheldin
- Kathleen Sullivan
Sponsor for this episode…
Today’s episode is brought to you by the coaching team at The Lawyer’s Edge, a training and coaching firm which has been focused exclusively on lawyers and law firms since 2008.
Each member of The Lawyer’s Edge coaching team is a trained, certified, and experienced professional coach AND either a former practicing attorney or a former law firm marketing and business development professional.
Whatever your professional objectives, our coaches can help you achieve your goals more quickly, more easily, and with significantly less stress.
To get connected with YOUR coach, just email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.